How soon do I need to enroll for a course?
To assure that you are enrolled in the course of your choice, enrollment should be done at least one month prior to the start date.  Our new ‘enrollment online’ will quickly expedite the process and insure your place in the class.

How do I open a ministry approved driving school?
If you would like to open a ministry approved driving school please contact the Ministry of Transportation Operational Policy Office to obtain an information package.

How do I become a driving instructor?
The first step is to go to your closest Ministry of Transportation licensing office and pick up the “Driving Instructor Information Kit”, complete the application forms and present them to any Driver Examination Centre.  A terminal check of your driving record and a criminal record search request will be initiated at this time.  This search sometimes takes up to 8 weeks.  Pay the $95.00 non-refundable fee.  Pass a complete class ‘G2’ test, which includes: vision screening, knowledge test and level 2 road test.  Once you have passed all the tests, your application will be sent to Head Office for approval.  You must also successfully complete a Ministry approved Driving Instructor’s course before obtaining a Driving Instructor’s licence.  The Ontario Safety League offers this course but recommends you do not enroll and pay for the course before you receive the Ministry’s approval of your application.  On passing the course, your application must be signed by the qualified course instructor.  A Driving Instructor’s course must not have been completed earlier than five years prior to your date of application.

Is air brake endorsement training a mandatory 12 hour course?
The air brake endorsement training course was created as a mandatory 12 hour program.

Is the Ontario Safety League a ministry approved course provider?
Yes.  The Ontario Safety League has been granted the authority by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation as an approved course provider.

What do I do with my air brake certificate when I get it?
Take your air brake certificate to any Ontario licensing office.  You will be issued a temporary licence with the ‘Z’ endorsement.

What qualifications must I have to take the air brake endorsement course?
You must reside in the province of Ontario and hold a valid Ontario drivers licence, classification ‘G’.

I have a G2 class licence. May I take the air brake endorsement course?
 When you take the course you must already hold a valid ‘G’ licence or greater classification to add the ‘Z’ endorsement to your licence.


Thank You to Canada Cartage for your generosity and continued support of our Air Brake Instructor program over the years!

Congratulations on your over 100 years in business! ...... a fantastic achievement!


The OSL would like to thank Canadian Tire for generously supporting us through our 100th Anniversary and subsequent years. Canadian Tire created these Safety videos.

Canadian Tire Logo